iScout Travel Guide
This Travel Guide contains all rules of the game.
iScout is a game for Rovers and volunteers in Scouting. They play the game on Saturday evening, March 9, 2019 from 19:00 till 23:00 CET. The rules of the game can be found below. There're a few small changes compared to last year.
- At the start of the game, you get a list of about 30 Tasks. When you have fulfilled a Task, you have to upload a photo or film to prove it. The Travel Agents will check them and give you 2 Travel Credits per Task.
- Use your Travel Credits to buy Travel Questions. One Travel Question costs 1 Travel Credit. At the beginning of the game, you get 7 Travel Credits to start. Afterwards, you receive 1 Travel Credit every half hour.
- When you answered a Travel Question correctly, you will get 1 Travel Point. If you do not know the answer, you will use a wildcard to continue.
- If you have a large Team, you can work on a Project. Handing in a Project costs Travel Points. But with a well-executed Project, you can earn even more Travel Points.
- The team with the most Travel Points wins the game.
Preparing for iScout will not take al lot of time as you play the game from your own place. Make sure to have a team of 20 to 30 players, collect the needed materials and know the guide below.
If your team is smaller than 20 players, you will still be able to play the game, but your chances of winning will be smaller. Over 30 persons will not increase your chances of winning and the game might be less challenging. You probably finish all Questions and Tasks, which doesn't necessarily mean you will win the game.
- Your place with a decent internet connection.
- Computers and notebooks with Googles Chrome browser pre-installed. Make sure it's appropriate for daily use (Youtube etc.). The iScout Game-site will most likely work OK at your system.
- Make sure you have a sufficient amount of cameras (or smartphones with film and photo function) and know how to set it to a lower quality. Additionally, install software to reduce image and film size.
- You most likely need bikes and/or cars. So, arrange transport.
- Use Google Chrome, we will not support different browsers.
- Use software to reduce image size. E.g. Irfanview or FastStone use, for your movies (e.g.) Handbrake, Freemake or Koyote. You may not edit photos (Photoshopping). However, making them lighter, darker or process them into a collage is allowed and sometimes asked for.
As a team, you need your own flag, visible on every photo of movie you hand-in. Make sure to have a few of these flag with at least the text: 'iScout 2019' and the name of your team. Use at least A3 format. It's most fun to be creative yourself, for digital creative people, you can download the iScout logo-on-your-flag-kit, please note the licence which included in the kit.
Every team receives login information at March 9, 2019, around noon (CET).
You can ask questions until saturday March 9, 2019 12.00h via [email protected]. From saturday 17.00u you can use the iScout chat, which is available in the iScout Game-site.
During the game
The target of the game is to collect as much Travelpoints as you can. You earn them by virtually travelling around the world. Every good answered questions gives one point.
iScout starts at 19.00h CET. You can login on the Game-site from 17.00h to admire, explore and hand in your group picture.
To earn points, you have to answer questions and thereby travel around the world. Questions are about countries, cultures and places around the world and answers are always spots on the map. You have to put a marker at the right spot at a Google Maps map. There are different Tracks to play. Every track starts with some easy questions and will get harder every question. After correctly answering a question you have to pay one Credit to get a new question.
If your don't know the answer (for sure), you can use a wildcard. The wildcard option is available after 15 minutes after paying the credit for the question. If you use a wildcard you won't receive a point.
If you answered the question wrong, you can retry it after 5 minutes.
To play questions, you need credits. You can earn them by handing-in tasks. Every well executed task gives you two credits. Furthermore, you start the game with 7 credits and receive 1 extra credit every half hour.
A Task is challenging and you have to film of photograph your interpretation. You hand in your result via the iScout Game-site. The Travelagents (Jury) will check your upload as soon as possible in order reward you with the credtis. If the jury marks your product as insufficient, you can retry.
- Your team flag should be visible on every task product;
- At least one person should be visible on the product (filmed or photographed);
- Photographed of filmed Scouts can be recognized as Scouts, they wear a scarf, uniform or scout shirt.
The list of Tasks is available at the start of the game on the website. You can hand in you first task at 17:00h, being the Group picture. With every task concern your own safety and that of others and the evironment! You are responsible for this and you decide whether you do a task or not. See also our Terms and Conditions.
The real fanatic travelers can spend their time and creativity on one of the projects. These are extra big and challenging tasks and are not obligatory for playing the game. Projects are there for the bigger Teams. Every team may hand-in only one project of witch you have to make a film of photo collage. The Travel Agency will reward your product with 1 (insufficient), 4 (good) or 6 (well done) extra Travel Points. The height of this bonus is determined by the creativity you spend on the project. The more challenging you make it for yourselves, the more points you (may) get. A project may be handed in till the end of the game. Handing in a project costs 2 Travel Points! Therefore, it can be wise to NOT hand in a project.
You can submit files via the iScout Game Site. Make sure files are not too big and film isn't too long. Furthermore, there are some restrictions to the extensions you can hand in.
|Photo||.jpg .jpeg .png .gif||10 MB|
|Film||H.264 (.mp4 .mov .f4v)|
|90 MB, max. 2 minutes|
|Tekst||.pdf .txt||10 MB|
- You may also upload your films and photos to e.g. YouPic or Youtube and send us the URL. Make sure the files are available if you submit the URL! If it's not available, for example because Youtube is still processing the file, the task will be marked as wrong.
- When the Traven Agent click on a link you handed in, the photo or video should appear directly. We cannot scroll to a list of photo’s to find the right one.
Contact during the game
You may not edit your material content wise, like photoshopping. You may decrease pictures in size, make them lighter or shape a collage from them. Using bots or scripts is also considered as cheating, as well as actively searching for answers or material of other teams on the site. If the Travel Agency suspects a Team from cheating, they can immediately exclude the team from further playing.
End of the game
The game stops at 23:00h and Travel Agents work hard to judge the last Tasks. We hope to publish the final scores and ranking around midnight.
The team with the most Travel Points wins iScout. In case of a draw, the team with the most Travel Credits left wins.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t be afraid to use al your contacs in- and outside Scouting. Use your network on Twitter and Facebook while making Tasks and Travel Questions.
- Think, upfront, of a division of tasks between the players in your team.
- Shoot in a lower quality to generate less MB’s.
- If you think you will be able to generate more than enough Credits, start working on your Project early.
- Make use of operators in Google, advanced search and reverse image search.